The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Posted on 1:32 PM by Two Guys

I will be the first to admit that I am not into horror movies. I don't watch a lot of them and I haven't seen many of the so-called "classics." I know... I know... It's not because I'm scared. It's just that I like to be able to sleep at night. No, but seriously, they just aren't good movies... and Yes, I've seen plenty of them to know what I'm talking about.

I don't relate to them (nor should you, kids) and now with the age of "Gore" I'm all about folding on this genre. Now, what I do appreciate in a horror film is what you don't see. There is a scene in the first Halloween film where the clothes on the clothesline lift for a moment to reveal Michael Myers, but he's gone a split second later. That's scary.

So, this brings me to my review of the Devil's Rejects which was written and directed by Rob Zombie in 2005. I love Rob Zombie and mostly everything he's been a part of in music or film. I think he's great and when I've seen him in interviews he's super intelligent. I love this movie as well. Now it's a bit of a stretch as far as "horror" goes, but if you don't consider it within that genre then neither should the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies.

It's pretty cheesy, but it's supposed to be. This is pulled off because of Zombie's love and knowledge of the horror genre. It is unconditionally devoted to the past generations of horror films. Otis, Baby and Captain Spaulding are on the run from the police, set a little while after the House of a Thousand Corpses story ends. Just to get it straight, this isn't really a sequel to that film. It's more like another movie with the same characters. They are two entirely different movies.

The Devil's Rejects is pretty straightforward from beginning to end. They are ugly and violent, but you are somehow on their side all the way through from beginning to end. The same cannot be said for House of a Thousand Corpses. Zombie, being a musician, also knows the importance of music in film. He executes this perfectly in this movie with one scene standing out as an all-time favorite of mine (wouldn't want to spoil it).

I can tell you that this movie is no more violent than a Rambo film. You have to have an appreciation for older campy horror films, but the script is deceptively brilliant. You find yourself caring for these maniacs. If you've yet to see this film I would recommend it and like I said before I'm not big on the horror genre in general. It also stands on its own from House of a Thousand Corpses. So, even if you didn't fancy that film you should check this one out.

No Response to "The Devil's Rejects (2005)"

Leave A Reply