The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009)

Posted on 9:29 AM by Two Guys

I was originally talked out of giving this movie a chance when it came out. Recently, I was talked back into watching it and found it on Netflix. I think of this movie in the same way that I think of Step Brothers. It's a classic raunchy comedy that you don't need to put your thinking cap on for. Otherwise, you will not get it.

I'm sure if you have ever been a car salesman it would be even funnier. The real problem I have with this movie is that it speeds through the story (which is expected), but it seems like it's constantly on the brink of trying to be serious. Some of the jokes are so ridiculously obvious that by the time they got there I wasn't amused.

Now that I got all of that out of the way... I actually liked the movie, somewhat. Ben Selleck's (James Brolin)car dealership is failing so he calls in the big guns, Don "The Goods" (Jeremy Piven) Ready and crew, to turn things around. There is a huge cast of characters including some popular names in comedy: David Koechner, Kathryn Hahn, Ed Helms, Ken Jeong.

I feel like there were missed opportunities all over the place with this one. For instance, they could have cut down on the strip club scenes and used that to tell a little more of the story behind Don Ready. Even when he comes to the car dealership it doesn't seem like he does much to make these guys start selling. On the other hand they could have just kept it all pointless and I would have appreciated that even more.

Overall, it was funny. The writing was a bit weak in places. I'm a huge fan of Anchorman, Step Brothers, Semi-Pro and most comedies of this nature. It's just not the kind of movie I would watch over and over again. I think there are probably a lot of joke that will grow on you the more you watch it, which is always fun.

I recommend giving it a chance. Especially, if you are a fan of some of the other movies I mentioned. Just don't think too much about it.

No Response to "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009)"

Leave A Reply